Drive to Survive this Long Weekend
Upper Hunter motorists and drivers are being warned to be alert and drive to survive is the message from the police as many people are setting out on the June long weekend road trips.
Police across the state will target all speeding, mobile phone, seatbelt and motorcycle/helmet offences and the double demerit points will be applied.
So far, this year 165 people have lost their lives on NSW roads.
Traffic and Highway Patrol Commander Assistant Commissioner Michael Corboy said the majority of those were men.
Speeding or drink-driving doesn’t make you more a man – nor does risking the life of your mates or those you love”, Mr Corboy added.
Mr. Corboy said, “I am renewing our appeal of passengers, regardless of where your sitting in the vehicle, to call the driver out on their behaviour”.
Minister for Police and Emergency Services David Elliott said police will not be interested in excuses when it comes to ensuring the safety of everyone on the road.
Mr Elliott said, “Drivers need to be very vigilant, tragedy can strike anywhere, at any time.
“Many people are expected to leave Sydney and head south for the start of the snow season. People are reminded not to do too much in a short period of time, placing themselves and their loved ones at risk of being killed or injured in a crash.”
Minister for Roads Andrew Constance said too many people become complacent when they get into a vehicle.
“Too many people have lost their lives or been injured on our roads so far this year,” Mr Constance said.
“Speeding, drink and drug driving and fatigue remain the biggest killers on our roads. We need everyone to think about their actions every time they get behind the wheel and the impact those actions may have on others.”
Operation Stay Alert, the state’s June long-weekend road safety operation, will start at 12.01am on Friday 7 June 2019 and will run until 11.59pm on Monday 10 June 2019.