Browse By

Man Swallowed by Humpback Whale…Did Not Have A “Whale” Of a Time. ” It Tried to Eat Me”

IMAGE VIA HINDUSTAN TIMES

A man in the US was swallowed whole by a humpback whale, Michael Packard was diving for lobsters 45 feet under where he then found himself in sudden darkness and realised he was in the mouth of a whale, 45 seconds later the whale decided he didn’t want Michael for breakfast and spat him out.

“I was inside it. I was inside its mouth,” Packard, 56, recalled. “It tried to eat me, I felt this truck hit me and everything just went dark”

“And I could feel just … hard stuff all around me,” Packard said. “And I just thought, ‘Did I just get eaten by a white shark?’ And then I said, ‘No, I don’t feel any teeth.’ And I said, ‘Oh my God, I’m in the mouth of a whale. With his mouth shut.’ ”

Packard felt the whale swimming and shoved his breathing regulator back into his mouth.

“I’m like, ‘This is how you’re gonna go, Michael. This is how you’re going to die. In the mouth of a whale,’ ” he recalled thinking.

For about 30 to 40 seconds, Packard twisted, turned and coped with an agonizing pressure on his legs. He could feel the whale’s forceful head shakes.

Then came the light.

“I just got thrown out of his mouth, into the water — there was white water everywhere,” he said. “And I just was lying on the surface floating and saw his tail and he went back down. And I was like, ‘Oh my God, I got out of that. I survived.’”

Lobster diver Michael Packard gives a thumbs-up in a hospital bed after he was swallowed by a humpback whale on Friday image via Washington Post

His friend then pulled him into the boat where he was hospitalised luckily only suffering a dislocated his knee and soft tissue damage.

Michael says he looks forward to his next fishing trip.