Browse By

Sydney Roosters captain Boyd Cordner announces retirement

The Roosters, NSW and Australia Test captain confirms retirement after repeated head-knocks

After a six month absence, Rooster’s captain Boyd Cordner has stepped away from the game due to on-going health concerns post concussion . An emotional Cordner announced his retirement at a press conference ahead of the Queen’s birthday clash between Canterbury Bulldogs and St George Illawarra Dragons.

Cordner, who hasn’t played a first grade match since game one of State of Origin 2020 due to a head knock, has spent taken time away from the game to determine if he would be able to return to the game after being subject to a number of concussions through his career.

“Not at any stage did I think I’d be up here today announcing that this will be it for me. All I ever wanted to do was to get back and play the game I love, and for the club I love.

“I felt really good while I was at training, I was training really hard. Away from footy, when I was at home it was a different story for me. I felt a different way.

Cordner is the second Roosters player to retire mid season due to concussion, with Jake Friend stepping away from the game in April. The NRL in recent times has taken a stronger stance on head high contact in an effort to better protect players.

Cordner played 183 games for the Roosters since his debut in 2011, winning three premierships; and represented the Blues in 16 Origins and the Kangaroos in 20 Tests, captaining all three teams.