Browse By

Aussie fan calls out Lizzo on ‘ableist’ language… and she’s responded!

Australian Hannah Diviney, who lives with spastic diplegic cerebral palsy, posted on Twitter that Lizzo’s new song ‘Grrrls’ made her feel “pretty angry [and] sad” with it’s use of a derogatory word.

“It’s an ableist slur,” she wrote. “It’s 2022. Do better.”

Lizzo was surprisingly quick to change the lyrics to her song and posted a heartfelt apology on social media 

“It’s been brought to my attention that there is a harmful word in my new song, ‘GRRRLs,’” She said. “As a fat black woman in America, I’ve had many hurtful words used against me so I [understand] the power words can have (whether intentionally or in my case, unintentionally).”

The 34-year-old released a new version of the song on Monday night, changing the word.

The updated track changes the line to “Hold my bag, bitch, hold my bag / Do you see this shit? Hold me back.” I wouldn’t say it was a vast improvement… but we are cheering that Lizzo owned the mistake. And worked to fix it quickly.

In America, the term is not considered a slur which could have been the reason it was able to be included in the first place. That is still not really an excuse, any name calling that is now being seen as unacceptable in the playground, definitely shouldn’t be making it into popular songs.