Browse By

Going to a Party in a County Jail – Baz Luhrmann’s ‘Elvis’ is in the Building!

Australian director and writer Baz Luhrmann, who has brought us some iconic Aussie movies such as; Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet, Australia and The Great Gatsby and has now just released his new film: Elvis! 

I am keen to see this for the music, lights and cast. Elvis stars: Austin Butler (The Shannara Chronicles) as Elvis, Tom Hanks as Tom Parker (lol – Tom playing Tom) Olivia DeJonge (Netflix’s The Society) as Priscilla Presley, Dacre Montgomery(Stranger Things) as Steve Binder and Maggie Gyllenhaal (Netflix’s The Lost Daughter) as Gladys Presley.  

The film follows Elvis from his poverty-stricken childhood right up to his breakthrough as a global superstar before his death at age 42 in 1977 (no conspiracies here). It stars Hanks as The King’s manager Colonel Tom Parker, who was infamous for cheating the King of Rock and Roll out of a fair share of royalties for his songs.  

The biopic was filmed right here in Aus in regional area – our beautiful Gold Coast in Queensland. However, the filming of Elvis was halted for a short period through filming as some of the cast tested positive to the current pandemic Covid19 but now Elvis is hitting the cinemas. 

Lurhmann also confirms that Austin Butler’s is actually singing in Elvis – as stated in Austin Butler’s interview with  The Hollywood Reporter“When I began the process, I set out to get my voice to be identical. That instills fear. So that got the fire burning. For a year before we started shooting, I was doing voice coaching. I feel such a responsibility to Elvis and to Priscilla (ex-wife) and Lisa Marie (daughter) and all the people are the world who love him so much.” While Austin’s voice is used for young Elvis it meshes for older Elvis as well.  

Featuring original songs and recordings by Elvis, we also see a huge list of other artists such as: Doja Cat, Eminem, Jack White, Maneskin, Stevie Nicks, Tame Impala, Diplo and many more! This is one motion picture soundtrack I can’t wait to get my hands on!  

Eminem is an interesting fit to Elvis as Eminem sees a comparison to him and The King actually quoting his line from his 2002 song “Without Me” he raps: “No I’m not the first king of controversy, I am the worst thing since Elvis Presley, to do black music so selfishly and used it to get myself wealthy.”  

Elvis includes some other favourites; this one is done by Kasey Musgrave, a cover of Presley’s famous love song, “Can’t Help Falling in Love” (listen to the teaser #goosebumps!)

Doja Cat has one of the first songs confirmed for Elvis with her track “Vegas” written for the film. It adds “Hound Dog” Presley’s, 1956 single adding a mix of today’s artist’s with an added new beat and lyrics with a touch of the classic Elvis line that just blends – check it out via this link. 

And while we are at it, Eurovision winners from Italy Maneskin are also within the soundtrack with a Presley cover “If I Can Dream”. Check out the snippet below: 

With the red carpet lighting up the Gold Coast in Queensland on June 4 (also heading to Sydney the day after), the cast, crew and anyone who’s anyone turned up. Even Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, Governor Jeanette Young and Gold Coast Mayor Tom Tate arrived on the red carpet. The premier has shown local, Australian and international media lining up to jump in on some interviews. The film boosted the local economy with millions of dollars and opened up 900 jobs for costumes, caterers, local, cast and crew.  

Elvis will be in Australian cinemas on June 23, 2022 (those in NSW get your Dine and Discover vouchers ready note: the vouchers expire June 30, 2022)